Re: Trouble setting up an HP Deskjet 9300 on USB

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

Hi!

For some reason, I am not having any success at setting up an HP Deskjet
9300 on USB for my FC3 notebook. CUPS allows me to select a "ptal" port
which I've never seen before, or parallel. I have not tried parallel,
although I will later just to make sure the thing works.

My FC3 notebook is able to use USB memory sticks just fine, but I am
having no success in getting this USB printer configured. Searches using
Google, MARC, and linuxprinting.org are getting me nowhere.

Anyone have pointers to other docs I should read, or hints in setting
this printer up properly?

Cheers,

Rodolfo, I run FC2 so my experience may not sync with your FC3 installation. If CUPS is indicating you have a "ptal" port, you probably have the hpoj driver installed. I use that driver to operate an HP d135 multifunction printer connected to the system through an USB connection. Using the CUPS web administration tool, I added/selected the ptal printer and then accepted the only option presented for specific printer driver. That worked but print quality was pretty poor and I used printconf (Red Hat icon --> System Settings --> Printing --> printer selection which in my case (and likely yours as well) installed the hpijs printer driver.

Hope that helps.