Re: Make Gnome app look like KDE

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:20:02 -0600, Ron Siven <l.siven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, that's a perfectly logical solution, but not really that
> practical.  One app that I use is evolution for email and calendar
> because it works well with outlook, which is my wife's favorite.  This
> allows us to synchronize schedules and such. She being a non-technical
> person, I can't persuade her to change because I don't like the way
> evolution looks.  :)

There isn't a way to do what you're asking.  Gnome applications are
compiled to use the gtk+ widgets (what provides the "look and feel")
and do not reference or access or otherwise use KDE widgets (again,
what provides the "look and feel").

>From http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213364,00.html

===
2) In computers, a widget is an element of a graphical user interface
(GUI) that displays information or provides a specific way for a user
to interact with the operating system and application. Widgets include
icons, pull-down menus, buttons, selection boxes, progress indicators,
on-off checkmarks, scroll bars, windows, window edges (that let you
resize the window), toggle buttons, forms, and many other devices for
displaying information and for inviting, accepting, and responding to
user actions.
===

Basically, you're not going to be able to force the applications
written for one envrionment to use the user interface elements of the
other.  Ironically, the problem you're seeking a solution to is
exactly why the KDE effort was started -- to create a desktop and
application framework that would allow developers to design
applications with a consistent look and feel (among other reasons).
The only "consistency" previously available was to just use the
original Xlib widget set.  If you'd like to sample those, fire up an
application like xfontsel or xcalc.  They are primative to say the
least.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown