Re: Please include kernel-source in your main distribution cds itself

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:17:40 -0500, Jeff Kinz <jkinz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Dr. Sankar.
> I'm afraid you don't understand what Fedora is.  Fedora is a
> development community working of producing an Open Linux Distribution
> called fedora.  This group does not produce the CD's you buy when you
> buy a book.  Those CD;s are produced by the book's publisher and that
> publisher makes the decision on whether to include the source code
> CD's with their book.

I think you misunderstood what he's saying.  He knows he's not getting
source code CDs, regardless, kernel source used come on the binary
install CDs in the form of the kernel-source RPM which installed into
/usr/src/linux.  That is what he'd like to have included again.  The
kernel-source package is no longer provided on the installation CDs.
The reasons why are documented in the release notes for Core 3.  That
*is* the responsibility of the Fedora Project and not any book
publisher's arbitrary decision to not include the kernel-source
package on the burned CDs they provide.

The guy is asking that that the kernel-source rpm either be included
again (which isn't going to happen) or some provision is made such
that the new kernel srpm is also included as an installable option
from the binary installation images.  The ramifications or acceptance
of having a source package in the binary ISO images or having any
package duplicated in both the binary and source ISO images are
another discussion.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown