More info on the CUPS problem

Man this is really getting silly.  After a clean and re-install of FC3 on the machine giving me the CUPS hang on boot everything was great.  I updated to the latest and greatest and all was well, except....for when I booted with the latest kernel (.770 I think).  When I boot to this kernel cups hangs my system again.  When I boot with the original kernel (2.6.9-1.337?) cups loads just fine and dandy.  I get the feeling no one has experienced this other than me, but I swear it's a basic stock system loaded from the CD's and the only additional packages not included with FC3 installed on the box is mplayer and java.  What do I need to look for to help figure out what's causing this problem?