Re: -s /tftpboot path in xinetd.d/tftp file

Mark Sargent wrote:
Edwin Dicker wrote:

Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

does the -s in the path in this file represent a soft link.? If so,
where would I find this link's path..?

[root@localhost xinetd.d]# cat tftp
service tftp
{
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = root
server = /usr/bin/tftp
server_args = -s /tftpboot
disable = no
per_source = 11
cps = 100 2
}

As far as I have my system configured this is what's in my tftp config : service tftp { disable = no socket_type = dgram protocol = udp wait = yes user = root server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd server_args = -s /tftpboot per_source = 11 cps = 100 2 flags = IPv4 }

Watch the server type. it is different as yours and more likely to be used
.
I'm running FC3

HTH
Edwin

PS you should have tftp-server rpm installed.
My guess is that you only have the tftp client package installed which
indeed uses /usr/bin/tftp and this is not the network tftp services
daemon.
tftp is kind of chewen out and should work on almost any system.

Hi All,

well, I'll be bamboozled...that was it...thanx Edwin...I didn't even know there was a difference between server/client...annoying that netstat showed xinetd listening on 69 when in fact, it couldn't have been, technically, because the server wasn't there...can anyone tell me what would have been more clear in showing whether tftp was there or not..? Cheers.

What was happening is that you had configured xinetd to listen for incoming connections on the tftp port and then pass them on to the server /usr/bin/tftp. However, that (/usr/bin/tftp) is the client program (like "ftp") rather than the server program (like "vsftpd") so of course it didn't work. So xinetd was doing exactly what you told it to do, and that's why it showed up in the netstat output.

Probably the only thing that would have helped you figure out what was wrong would have been searching for a better reference on setting up a tftp server using xinetd.

Paul.