Re: Config check for box swith two nics

GPL wrote:
I may have been over thinking this. My internal DNS will resolve names
on the internal net and external net. I think now in the way I have
been reading the responses to this thread that I feel better about my
understanding of this process.

One thing though regarding the hosts file:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere

Is it bad practice to give the box two FQDNs per network? Would I
experience any negative repercussions from approaching the setup in
this manner?

That should be fine.

What I would do in this situation is install the caching-nameserver package so that you resolve all names yourself. Then, add the following entries to your named.conf to forward queries for internal names and addresses to the internal DNS servers:

//
// Forward requests for internaldomain.com to intranet DNS servers
//
zone "internaldomain.com" {
	type forward;
	forward only;
	forwarders { 10.192.0.1; 10.192.0.2; };
};

//
// Similarly, forward rDNS lookups for internal network
//
zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
	type forward;
	forward only;
	forwarders { 10.192.0.1; 10.192.0.2; };
};

The IP addresses in the "forwarders" lines should be those of your internal DNS servers.

This means that you don't rely on your ISP's DNS servers for external name resolution, and you can still resolve external names without delay even if your internal DNS servers are unavailable.

Internal lookups will be referred to the internal DNS servers as before.

Your resolv.conf should just point to localhost. No external DNS servers need to be mentioned there. Just make sure that named starts at boot time.

What routes other than those above do you want?

The routes were what the box generated itself, I added no further routes. Works fine from what I have tested.

That's OK then.

Paul.