Re: Config check for box swith two nics

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:06:25 -0500, GPL <linuxlistreader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I may have been over thinking this. My internal DNS will resolve names
> on the internal net and external net. I think now in the way I have
> been reading the responses to this thread that I feel better about my
> understanding of this process.

Your /etc/resolv.conf should point to your internal DNS servers.

And I bet your internal servers have a "forwarders" option which
tells them to use the external servers (recursively) for all domains
except your internal one.  This is very typical.

> One thing though regarding the hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
> 208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere
>
> Is it bad practice to give the box two FQDNs per network? Would I
> experience any negative repercussions from approaching the setup in
> this manner?

It's bad practice to use the hosts file while you have a fully
functioning DNS server.  Use DNS by itself, you don't need anything
in your hosts file (with the posible exception of localhost).

However, it is perfectly fine (and common) to assign a different
FQDN to each IP address (whether on different interfaces or on the
same interface).  Of course you'll need to pick one name to use as the
system "hostname", but it shouldn't matter much which one you pick.
Some applications like Apache or MySQL may care, depending on
how they are configured.

--
Deron Meranda