Re: Kernel update via yum on triple-boot machine

On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:45, Itay Furman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Using yum to update Fedora Core 2 installation I noticed the
>following:
>
>[snip]
>Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
>No bootloader found, Cannot configure kernel, continuing.
>Installed: kernel 2.6.10-1.770.FC2.i686
>[snip]
>
>Otherwise, yum seemed to finish with no other complaints.
>
>I suspect it is related to the fact that this is a triple-boot
>machine with the following set up:
>
>/dev/hda1 Dell utilities
>/dev/hda2 Windows
>/dev/hda3 boot (gentoo; **grub is installed here**)
>/dev/hda9 boot (FC2)
>
>If so I could manually edit grub.conf under /dev/hda3 to point to
>the new kernel.

yes, you can have many verses in youur grub.conf.  Unforch, the
manpage isn't very clear on some details, and the context sensitive
use of the 'root' keyword can be very confusing to gnubies.  On a
line by itself the root (hd0,0) means thats the '/boot' partition for
the intended install, where the first '0' means the first drive,
usually hda, and the second '0' means the partition number, which
could mean hda1.

But when used as the argument appended to the kernel line, it then
becomes the pointer to the '/' filesystem of this particular boot
configuration verse of your grub.conf.  I believe, but am not sure,
that you will have to consolidate to one, and one only, /boot
partitions, putting all the various versions of vmlinuz, and the grub
subdirs into this single partition, which is then mounted as /boot
for everything but the windows install.

Personally, I'd blow away the windows install and put the grub
bootloader in the mbr of hda.  Grub, I'm told, can boot windows just
fine.  But if you blow it way you don't have to worry about the next
windows viri/worm of the week.  But then maybe I'm a bit odd, I've
never had a windows install here, ever.  Its a nice snug feeling &
windows has yet to have the killer app that I couldn't either fudge
up a workalike in os9 or amigados or linux, or do without with no
pangs of regret.  I'm not heavy on game playing so that probably
helps.

In your case, the intended update has no knowledge of the location
where you installed your initial grub.  Just add the stuff to your
grub.conf and it *should* be ok.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)