Re: Understanding partition labels...

Am Sa, den 19.03.2005 schrieb cjlesh um 22:49:

> I'm trying to figure out a simple way to dual boot FC3 and rawhide...and ran into a problem with partition labels.
>
> Could anyone point me in the direction of some reading material on the subject?  I can't seem to google anything useful...
>
> Some basic questions...
>
> How are partition labels set?

e2label  --> man e2label
or
tune2fs -L

> Can the be displayed from the command line?

See above.

> Can they be changed once they are set?

See too above.

> What happens when there are two paritions with the same label?(I think this happened to me when I tried to install Rawhide).

Yes, that is a problem and causes confusion. The second found partition
with the same label as the first one is mounted instead of the the
correct one.

> Can I change fstab and grub to not use them?

Yes, you can and you will have to to avoid doubled labels. But normally
a second Fedora install should take care for existing labels and for
instance create LABEL=/ as LABEL=/1.

> -cjl

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:58:30 up 2 days, 20:54, load average: 0.38, 0.48, 0.62