USB optical mouse keeps dying

I have a MS optical USB mouse. After a time, once the screen save has kicked in, the mouse dies. The light goes out, and even tho the keyboard still works and returns the screen, the mouse continues to sleep. Only unplugging it and plugging it back in revives it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have an almost identically configured box at work and it doesn't happen there.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA