Re: Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:08:31 -0500, M.Rudra <dr.rudra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I googled "fork bombing" and after reading them, I have some doubts :
>
> 1] Is this applicable to newer version of FC3/4 or will this affect

I just tried a fork bomb on a reaonably updated fc3 box. Locked it up
tight, I had to use the power switch.

The default ulimit for user processes was set at 4095.

As many said, if you are worried, it is trivial to reduce this.

Yesterday at work, I tried the same thing on a RHEL 3.0 Server
(non-production!), and it did not hose the machine, it still responded
and a kill -9 -1 as the user cleaned everything up.

I forgot to check the ulimit there.

--
Jim Buchanan                                     jbuchana (at) gmail.com