Re: need help for installing source code

Kuldeep Prakash wrote:
Hello Paul
  I am feeling little stupid now , I have been trying to build kernel
for last 2 weeks but am stuck till now.
    I tried the following the steps mentioned at the  link
  http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/steps.html
but couldn't even pass through the first step mentioned in the doc.
 That is
  ~/.rpmmacros
couldn't find this file in my installation.

That's because it's a file you're supposed to create, it's not an existing file. I think that could be clearer in the instructions though.

But than I went to the fourth step

â Install Source
Use rpm to install the kernel source code. rpm -ihv kernel-XXX.src.rpm

but got the error as I had mentioned in my last mail.

That's because, without the ~/.rpmmacros file, it'll try to install the source in /usr/src/redhat, which you'd need to be root to be able to do.

Paul.