Re: FC3 randomly crashing

Endy wrote:
> I have been having issues with fc3 randomly crashing.  Sometimes with a
> heavy load, other times when nothing at all is going on.  Every piece of
> hardware has either been replaced or swapped out or tested in a
> different system, including harddrives, all without problems.  For
> awhile I had problems with one of the harddrives and orphaned inodes and
> the like, but I ran the manufacturers diagnostic program and those
> errors have been corrected.  My previous system had an athlon 2500+ and
> now my current system is an AMD64 3000+.  I had these issues on the
> 2500+  and on the 64bit under both x86 and x86_64 version of fedora.
> I've kept packages up to date and even built a vanilla kernel to see if
> that would work. Transfering large files across the network also causes
> the machine to lock up.  I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

Bob's given good advice.

Have you completely reinstalled since the hard drive problems?

It's also worth trying to boot into text mode: when booting, get into
grub's menu, press "e" to edit the appropriate kernel option, and add
" 3" to the end of the kernel line. Log in and try doing a text mode ftp
copy.

Have you installed any third-party kernel modules? Which graphics card
do you have?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | WARNING:  Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL again will restart
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | your computer.  Then again, what won't?  You will