Re: CD driver reads causes error by reading too far ahead

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

| > cmp: /dev/hdd: Input/output error
| | See:
| https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-January/msg00453.html
| and "man isosize" for workarounds.

Thanks, that thread is interesting and I had not seen it.  A screen
saver / ACPI was kicking in during a CD burn and causing a blip in
what was written.

It does not look to be the same as my problem.  My problem is that
somewhere in the driver stack a decision is being made to attempt to
read past the end of the content of the CD.  This is bad because (a) I
cannot seem to ask it not to happen and (b) it generates read errors
that prevent me seeing even the good part of the CD.

The thread above refers to the low-level CD driver not being able to detect properly the end of a CD. Burning CDs with cdrecord's "-pad" option is a workaround that can be used, as is the "isosize" program, which can used to check a read-from-CD image and determine how big it should actually be (i.e. how much junk to remove from the end of it so that you end up with a pristine copy of the original ISO filesystem).

As this bug has been in the kernel for some time and seems to be quite well known, I'd be surprised if there was anybody actively working on a fix for it right now (as they could have done so long ago). I wonder why this is?

BTW, you MUA (Evolution) put a line break in the middle of the URL.
I've fixed it in my quote.  Is there a way to tell Evolution not to do
that?

It doesn't normally do that; looks like the presence of the hyphen probably confused it.

Paul.