Re: Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

On Sunday 13 March 2005 16:41, a a wrote:
>> Sorry if I was unclear, the point I was making was that you are
>> paying for the software & it is not being supported, I am aware of
>> the payment methods, but I do not think it matters.
>>
>> I wouldn't class this as a 'flame war' or otherwise, just a
>> discussion :)
>
>no flame war, just on the head discussion ... . the argument that
>there is already sufficient great open source burners on linux so
> that there is no room for another player does not hold water. i
> explain ...
>
>the linux community is going to see a lot of changes as windows
> users cross-over to linux. these users think differently because
> they are accustomed to a very open and ill-defined public arena
> largely populated by semi-computer-literate types, children and the
> mass-unwashed ... where-as the linux community is a tight band of
> highly literate and technical power-users. the windows world is
> dominated by a highly active open discussion forum of what is the
> best and why and Nero's business strategy is to pick up these users
> as they cross-over because these users already know the brand ...
> there is no reason why Nero will not very quickly become the no.1
> on linux as it is on wondows and what is more they will do it
> because they are very well funded (means not for free)

With all due respect, I'm not a windoze escapee, don't have a copy on
the premises & if somebody gave me one I'd probably burn it unless I
had the holographic serial numbers and it had never been installed
before.

What makes you think that just because it works fairly well on a
windoze box, that I'd give it a second thought here, when I have k3b,
which hasn't made a coaster in better than 2 years?  It Just
Works(TM), what more could I want?

The windows folks who are running for their lives, looking for
anything that isn't being raped by the Washington state crowd, who
come here, should be willing to give our way a try rather than
expecting our stuff to run exactly like windows, BSOD's and all.
Tain't gonna happen.

Frankly, I don't have $0.50 to call somebody who might care.
I'll help the windows fugitive if I can, but to make a windows program
run on linux is both beyond my expertise, and my tolerance.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)