constant hard drive activity on my laptop...?

Hello again,

        This is the second laptop I have got where this happens.  There is tiny
hard drive activity consistently every 2-3 secs.  By "tiny" I mean I can
hear the hard drive make a small noise for a split second.  Sometimes its
so small that the hard drive activity light doesn't come on.  The problem
is that it happens consistently every 2-3 secs...very annoying and also
causes me to be suspect.

        Top doesn't show any interesting.  I am using KDE 3.3.2.  Does anyone have
any ideas about what might be causing this?  Are there some services or
daemons that I can turn off?

Thanks for the help.