Re: Can Federa be installed by updating Red Hat?

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 13:13 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:30:37 -0800, bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>patrick (and others!!)
> >>
> >>however, it should be possible to get to FC3 from RH, although you might be
> >>advised to do it in a few steps. ie RH->FC1, FC1->FC3.
> >>

> > Ah, the beauty of Debian's "apt-get dist-upgrade"...
>
> I wonder if it would work across such a wide range of changes?
>
> Does Debian do SELinux?

Well, apt-get does work on RH/FC, http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/,
but selinux, udev, and other issues would make this kind of upgrade
problematic with apt-get also.

Another point - regardless of upgrade method - there will probably be
old 3rd party or other packages left lying around that the upgrade
didn't catch for various reasons.  The following command will let you
find obsolete RPMS that should be removed or upgraded:

# rpm -qa --last >RPMS_by_Install_Time

Inspect the output file for RPMS older than the upgrade.  For tarballs
or other installation methods, you're on your own.