Re: Bochs trouble

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:10 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> When I use bochs on FC3, the virtual machine is terribly slow

bochs emulates the physical CPU, this allows it to run x86 applications
on more powerful architectures but also makes it terribly slow for
native systems

> and when it is working, my real cpu usage according to top and xosview is 100% on
> either CPU0 or CPU1 (I have a Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHz and use the SMP
> kernel).

this is expected, there is no idle mode for CPUs, most operation systems
put the processor in a polling/noop loop when idle

> Is it strange that it does that, or should I ignore it? I also cant
> figure out what IPS I should use on my machine. I currently use
> 9,000,000. and I use the normal Bochs bios. the 2 processor one also
> works.
> Can someone tell me what IPS I can use with my specific processor?

IPS is black magic :-/ run configure with --enable-show-ips, make your
VM busy and guess some average from the logfile or console output. I use
a IPS setting of 10,000,000 on a 1.4GHz Opteron.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
        - George Bernard Shaw