acpi not accepting command

Hi!

I'm running FC3 (2.6.10-1.766_FC3smp) on a HP ZD7000 laptop (2G RAM). In grub.conf I set up acpi=on apm=off and my sleep.sh is as shown below.

Here is my sleep.sh:
#!/bin/sh
# pre-suspend:
oldvt=$(fgconsole)
chvt 1
/sbin/modprobe -r uhci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe -r ehci_hcd
echo mem > /sys/power/state
# on wake-up:
video_post
/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
chvt $oldvt

The script is run when I close the lid. So, I close the lid and the laptop seems to go into sleep, but wakes up right away. I finally tracked down the problem to this command:
echo mem > /sys/power/state

For example, if I type in a terminal as root: echo mem > /sys/power/state nothing happens. It takes the command in very quicky and doesn't send any error, but it also doesn't do anything either. Just like if I have pressed the RETURN key with no command before it.

It seems like I'm missing the proper ACPI support in the kernel, but this kernel comes straight from Fedora and I have not changed anything in the kernel. I have a HT CPU so I'm using the smp that needs ACPI and it recognizes that ACPI is there with no errors. Also, the LID triggers the sleep.sh script as it should. So, is there somewhere another switch for ACPI? What am I missing?

Thanks,
egcp