Re: FC3 Security

On Thursday 10 March 2005 06:13, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> No, the university has made it quite clear that they own the network
> and control IP addresses. My sin is that because a lack of office
> space, my office was located in the data center. The data center IT
> people have no intention of helping or cooperating. Their solution
> would be for me to let them install Windows XP on the machine and
> they would control ALL aspects (even down to the screen resolution).
> I would not be able to run the software I need to run but that
> doesn't really matter to them.
>
> Rick B.

Rick,

Welcome to the real world of University computing ;-)

We have a similar setup here with the University IT guys owning the
network and only supporting Windoze NT ( not even XP ).  They have been
trying to go to a private network for the last 3 years but still
haven't managed it. So we have a mixture of public and private at the
moment.

At least they allocate us, the Comp. Sci. Dept. a block of IP addresses
that we can the allocate ourselves. So we use these to dual boot all
the student machines and look after them ourselves.

Tony

--

Tony Molloy.

Dept. of Comp. Sci.