Re: FC3 Security

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 00:19, Rick Bilonick wrote:

If I can't for some reason get a separate office for this project, I will take the computer home and do the work at home (say, one or two days a week). I already know I can do this. I do have a computer at work, but because it is Windows XP, it makes it difficult to use to access my home computers. I do this now with my own home computer. I have cygnus (I don't recall the name) on the XP box but I can't get it to do X windows so I'm kind of limited.

Cygwin X is actually pretty good - you just have to turn off the firewall on XP to let it work. On the Linux box run gdmconfig and enable XDMCP, then restart X. On the windows box, from a cygwin bash prompt enter: Xwin -query your_server and you will get the whole desktop from the linux box. Or, you can run Xwin -multiwindow then 'ssh -X' to the linux box and each X program you start will open a new window on your desktop. However you need a low-latency connection for X to work well. You probably won't like it over the internet to home. You might like VNC better for remote access.

I cannot turn off the firewall on the XP box. Would that be a good thing to do anyway?

Rick B.