Re: FC3 Security

Rick Bilonick wrote:

1) get a separate project office outside of the data center (inconvenient to have two offices blocks or farther apart),

2) get a DSL data line installed (about $130/month for 512K - kind of expensive),

3) use Verizon Wireless Broadband (very fast [512K], $80/month - not cheap but I could take the PC 5220 card out and use in the evenings and weekends),

4) take the computer and 20 in lcd monitor home, connect it to the DSL line, and do the work at home.

What would you recommend? If I'm going to complete this project on time, I can't have any more time wasted. So I need to get this resolved.

Rick B.

I wonder how much money they are getting from Microsoft to do this?

You sound limited in your discussion but I would take the challenge to show that the Windows only policy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Search for the latest data on OS comparisons in Honypots.

Point them to the NSA site in regards to selinux.

As you state, this is more politics than policy. I hope they get hit with the next major Windows worm and all the data gets wiped. And all your data on your "unsecured" linux box is safe. :)

They may change their mind in a few months when all the computers will need to take the SP2 update and many software packages quit working.

Good luck.

I would set up my computer at home. Get them to supply you a cheap computer to communicate with you home computer and work out of the office. If someone questions your connecting to your home computer, inform them that the software you require doesn't work on Windows and you are not allowed to run Linux at work. Also get it in writing.

--
Robin Laing