Very slow writes on samba-mounted drive

I have samba running on a small server at home; the same machine also
runs an ftp server. The server is running FC3, mostly updated (kernel
2.6.10-1.741_FC3, samba 3.0.10-1.fc3).

When I connect to this server from my desktop (also FC3, all updates
current) via ftp, I can read and write files at the expected speed (I
have a 100mbit/s LAN and I get about 50-70mbit/s, typically). When I
read files on a mounted samba share, I can read them at a typically
fast speed. However, when I write files on the samba connection, they
go incredibly slowly (about 1 mbit/s).

I searched this forum and generally on the web for this problem; the
best advice I could find was that I should try to avoid master browser
election fights between server and desktop by setting the OS level
lower on the desktop, and allowing the server to be preferred master
(while setting the desktop to "no" on those options). I tried all
those things and they made no difference.

Any advice? Thanks!