Re: SLOW portmapper startup (when using NIS)

Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:24, Toralf Lund wrote:

A problem with all our Red Hat/Fedora setups:

Boot delays for a loooong time at this stage:

Starting portmapper:

I suspect this is related to the fact that we have

passwd:     nis files

In most cases you probably want files before nis. This allows you to
override nis if needed.

I should perhaps have said that the order is set up like that for a reason. I need nis to override files because I want to have "backup" accounts with different config that can be used only when NIS and other networks services are for some reason unavailable.

Whether that is a good idea is perhaps debatable, but even if I was able to change the order, I would really like to know what is going on.

Try swapping that around to see if it works better.