Help with Kernel Panic

This morning I started to get a kernel panic which has totally frozen my machine.
It's been running smoothly for many months on FC3
It does have automatic yum updates turned on. So I'm not sure if something significant changed last night.

It boots up fine, but after a couple of minutes it freezes.
The error I get is:

kernel panic - not syncing: drivers/ide/pci/piix.c:390:spin-lock(drivers/ide/ide.c:c03712a8) already locked by drivers/ide/ide-iops.c/1234

The machine is running software raid and it is trying to re-sync the / partition with it's mirror.
Not sure if that is affecting it.

I'm trying now with ide=nodma passed to grub to see if that helps, but anyone have any ideas on what might be happening?