Re: Latex environment for linux

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 20:51 -0300, Leandro Melo wrote:

> Could anyone tell me if there's a nice latex environment for linux?
> Or do I need to use default text editors and compile text manually?

Well, that really depends on what you have in mind. I don't do much
LaTeX writing these days, but I used to do a lot, in fact it was pretty
much all I used. I personally have never seen anything which even
vaguely rivals AUC-TeX, which is a large package of Lisp macros for
Emacs:

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/

There is an RPM for FC3 available from the above site.

Now the drawback is that in order to use AUC-TeX you have to use Emacs,
and if you aren't used to Emacs there is a steep learning curve. On the
other hand, if you are used to Emacs then AUC-TeX seems to me to be the
obvious choice. Even if you aren't used to Emacs, the sheer power of
AUC-TeX might really make it worth your while to learn. AUC-TeX is
actually what got me using Emacs, and I've never looked back. I now use
Emacs as my development/authoring environment for practically
everything, and whilst nothing is perfect (and Emacs has its problems)
I'm extremely happy with it.

LyX, which others have suggested, *uses* LaTeX but isn't itself a native
LaTeX environment (for instance *.lyx files are not the same as a native
LaTeX *.tex file).

The only other thing I have heard of is a KDE LaTeX authoring tool, but
I'm afraid I can't remember its name.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com