Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 10:14, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 04:34:49AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >- Anything which gives out some light is giving out less heat.
>>
>> And that light, when its absorbed by a surface thats not 100%
>> reflective becomes what?  Thats right, heat.
>
>So... running a light bulb in a closed room (no windows) is "free"
> as well, for a house that is heated by electrical resistance
> furnace or base board heater?

Yup.

>I'm a little bit shocked by this. It's interesting, but a little bit
>unbelievable... :-)
>
>My conclusion from this thread is - people who heat their house by
>electrical resistance are paying too much. I knew this already, but
>this illustrates the point. "You might as well heat your house by
> light bulbs or computers!"

And in some locales, the conversion from natural gas to electric
resistance methods is proceeding at a high rate.  In central Nebraska
for instance the gas people have piggy-backed so many 'delivery' and
related fees onto the gas bill you get that the cost of a btu of
electrical resistance heating is 1/2 the cost of that same btu in gas
deivered to your premises.

People like 3 of my sons, who are in the Central City area, have
converted to, or are converting to, electric heat, its only half as
much when it comes time to write the check.  The gas situation is so
outragious that when one of them had the gas shut off because he was
finally 100% electric, he kept getting a bill for $50 every month,
not for the gas mind you, but because they left a gas meter on his
property and were charging him for the lease/rental of it.  He went
to small claims court with a claim of $50 a month for storing it for
them and won, plus the gas folks were ordered to remove any of their
lines that entered or crossed his property.

I can remember when the reverse was true, and gas was cheaper by far.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)