Re: Linux is so cool!

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 09:41 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Stephen Costigan wrote:
> > Linux is so AWESOME man! The only thing that bugs me is there's no
> > shutdown button. How can I reboot or turn off computer? Everytime I
> > install software, it never asks me to reboot. I'm an expert Windows
> > user and I was working as an IT Manager until recently, so I know alot
> > about computers. I just need to know how to turn this thing off!
> >
> > Stephen Costigan
> >

> It shows that you are an "expert" Windows users in expecting that
> there is a need to shutdown Linux.  Windows needs constant reboots
> just to keep running from my experience with hearing people that use
> Windows around work.
>
> Why would you want to shut down a Linux computer?  It is designed to
> run and run and run.  As you have pointed out, unlike the Windows
> computers that require constant reboots with updates and software
> installations, this isn't required with Linux.
>
> I only do a reboot on my computers when I replace hardware or update
> the kernel.
>

> --
> Robin Laing

I shut down my main Linux workstation at least once a day.  But then it
is a laptop.  So I can understand a need to shut down a Linux system.
You do NOT want to carry around a laptop when it is powered on, even in
suspended mode.  This can often cause issues with the hard drive.

That being said, my secondary Linux workstation is a desktop, and I do
not shut that one down.

--
Frank Tanner III <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>