Re: Why the insults? Re: Firefox or Opera? Evolution or T-bird?

Simple, like small government, is relative.  "Hello, world" is simple and almost useless (unless, of course, you've never written a program in your life).  I've always thought of "KISS" as a self-deprecating thing you're supposed to tell yourself when you're thinking about doing something outrageously high tech and costly when you might be overlooking something cheap and obvious that will do just as well.  Definitely not intended as an insult to others (if OP is still listening).

Also, we're all going to get flamed for top-posting, but the thread has gone this far, it would be a PITA to re-arrange it now.  One more example of how a good general principle (KISS, small government, no top-posting) isn't necessarily applicable in all situations.

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I think it might not be intended. Over the years, a certain set of people
have quoted "Keep It Simple, Stupid" (KISS) as a design principle.

I've never agreed with it - never fully - as I've found that people
find it very easy to consider their own thought process "simple,
stupid", and everybody else's not. They quote the principle as an
argument for their own opinions, without explaining why their solution
is actually "simple, stupid". It's all about perceptions.

Is Firefox simpler than alternatives? Hardly. Does it do the job? Well
- it does the job better than most... I like it.

Cheers,
mark