Re: Sendmail / Exchange / Mailman - Resources and suggestons

Tim Holmes wrote:
> The Ideal is that Mailman would work WITH exchange removing the need for
> the sendmail server all together, but I am not sure if this is the case
> or not.

Presumably you want Mailman to work on Fedora. I doubt you'll want
Exchange running on Fedora, so you're going to need some way of getting
the e-mails between the two.

That effectively means SMTP. And that means you're going to have to run
some sort of MTA (not necessarily Sendmail) on the Fedora box.

In your case, I'd set up the Fedora server to use Exchange as a smart
host and Exchange to relay for Fedora (so outgoing messages can go out).

have to set up a maillist@xxxxxxxxxxx mailbox on Exchange, a custom
recipient maillist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, set Exchange to route e-mail to
fedora.example.com to the right IP address, and set maillist@xxxxxxxxxxx
to deliver to the @fedora address. It's not difficult to do this, but
details are version-specific and *way* off-topic.

Other than that, fedora.example.com doesn't need to appear in DNS,
route, or exist.

You'll have to do the same for the mailing list admin addresses.

I presume you've got as far as "Fedora sendmail doesn't listen to
anything other than localhost by default"?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | This was, apparently, beyond her ken. So far beyond
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | her ken that she was well into barbie territory.