Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:42:09PM -0800, Skunk Worx wrote:

windows is really kind of a poor solution in general if it is so easy to hide keyloggers, etc. (as a casual google shows).

also not sure why i should have to "dig" for any swap settings, or why they would be wrong in the first place.
if you people have some bone to pick with linux, or are pro-windows, take it off list...it's not a fedora support issue.

It's a fedora support issue if people believe statement such as the
first one I quote from you - "Windows is really kind of a poor ...".

You think it is hard to hide a key logger under Linux?

If anything, it may even be *easier*... :-)

It's not about a bone to pick. It's about balance. If people can say that
Linux provides security, or is faster, or whatever, other people should be
able to rebut.

What you should have wrote is - if people want to argue philosophies or
opinion-based performance benchmarks, they should take it off list. This is
a support forum, not a "I like Linux best!" forum...

Alas, the mailing list is not actually name a support forum. It is "for
users of Fedora Core". For users of Fedora Core, one consideration may be
performance which leads us to...

Cheers,
mark

I disagree with all of your comments.

There is no "balance" on the issue of a windows vs. linux debate existing on this list. A couple quick comments and it should be over. My experience shows that NTFS/HPFS appears to have a serious issues as the drive fills, a problem Linux does not appear to have. Take it for what it's worth.

By the way, hijackthis, Adaware, spybot S&D, MS antispyware, symantec AV (all up-to-date) come up clean on the XP box.

Keylogger detection and installation : Selinux, rpm and third party tools (such as tripwire) prevent or are fairly trivial to setup/use to detect altered binaries or non-default installed binaries.

Take it one step further and you have the live cd (Adios, Knoppix) which makes the software logger installation nearly impossible, when deployed properly (non-writable DVD).

Taking my comment out of context, as you did...well, I'm not going to say what I think of you for doing that.

If the list degrades over time into something it originally was not, so be it. I'm not a party to it, and I'll argue one time, each time I see a post like yours in one of my threads.

Have a day,
s.w.