Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

On Mon, 2005-07-03 at 20:33 -0500, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, now you can show off and explain why some heaters are more efficient
> than other heaters. I'm interested. :-)

I've never seen an efficiency rating on an electric heater. I have seen
some that were labelled "high-efficiency", which was no doubt put there
by the marketing department. Oil and gas furnaces certainly do have
efficiency ratings. The energy loss in that case is in the form of both
heat and unburnt fuel going up the chimney.

> Or does it not matter which heater I buy at Canadian Tire - as long as
> I look at the capacity rating, I'll know it will cost me the exact
> same in electrical costs?

You got it. It will have a rating in watts. The more watts, the more
heat it will put out. Price differences for heaters with the same rating
may or may not indicate quality differences - but they will provide the
same amount of heat for the same operating cost.

Efficiency and operating costs are not the same thing when comparing
different energy sources, of course. Even an old, inefficient oil
furnace may heat your house more cheaply than electricity if oil is
cheap and electricity is expensive. In my case, my hot water baseboard
heaters are supplied by an old oil boiler that I am going to replace
this summer. I did the calculations, and a new oil boiler will save me
about 25%, but an electric boiler will save me about 50%. Definitely
worth the cost of the new furnace!

> mark (who might be full of crap in his doubt and disbelief of Brian's
>       electrical engineering logic claiming that, for a house that requires
>       heating, running a computer 24/7 is virtually free...)

Only in the winter! :-)

This is getting really off topic, BTW, we should take it off list...