Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:44:24 -0500
David Curry <dsccable@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The point here is that the net energy savings from shutting down pcs
> when they are not is use is not a linear function of energy consumed by
> pc devices alone.  The same is true of electric lights.

It'll always be a net waste of electricity to leave the lights/CRT on  -
even in winter.  Unless, that is, your building's heating system is less
efficient at generating heat than your CRT/lights are.

It's just a little bit LESS of a waste to run the stuff in winter than it
is in the summer.

Having said that, wouldn't a "save energy" HOWTO basically be a guide to
getting ACPI or APM functioning on your machine?  I don't have any
traditional desktop PCs in my home anymore, but the ones at work all
support power management to some extent.

Plus, nobody's going to be hacking into your machine when it;s suspended.
:)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/