Re: Converting Lotus 123 files

David Curry wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:44:22 +0100
"J.L. Coenders" <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Lotus 123 files]

A friend asked me if I could find out how to open these files.
Openoffice doesnt seem to do the job.

That's news to me. I routinely open the .wk1 files generated by Lotus 123
(on my HP 200LX palmtop) in Open Office. Just use File/Open like you
would for a regular Open Office spreadsheet.

Admittedly, the spreadsheets I make on my HP aren't obscenely complex, but
I;ve had no real trouble opening them. What sort of problems are you
having?

OpenOffice (OO) calc does seem to have a converter for Lotus 1-2-3 files, but I have not needed to use it myself. OO opens Excel spreadsheets just fine, with the exception that it cannot open those of my wife's spreadhseets which have more than 33,000 or so rows (the actual number is 32,767 or so.) She has numerous Excel documents with more than 60,000 rows. And complains that Excel can't do as many rows as she wants, too.

Bob Cochran

Try Gnumeric, Bob. It does handle more rows than oo.o and can take wk1 format.

Thank you, this persuaded me to install Gnumeric and I have it running now with one of my wife's old spreadsheets. This one has 47,939 rows. The spreadsheet itself is 32 Mb big. I can see all the rows too! I checked the Help but can't seem to find the maximum number or rows it can take for a spreadsheet.

Bob