Re: Fedora core 1 vs Fedora Core 3

Am So, den 06.03.2005 schrieb Charles A. Hodge um 17:22:

> I have a dell poweredge 2300 with lsi raid which is not supported in
> fedora core 3. I have learned that it was supported in fc1. So I'm
> thinking of doing an install of fc1 on this machine. My questions is
> what is the differnce between fc1 and rh8 (which I have the distro for)?
> is the kernel and packages of fc1 newer than that of rh8? what are the
> ramifications of using fc1? I see quite a few people on the list are
> still posting messages about fc1.

FC1 is no way to go. This is not because I want to discredit FC1 as the
first Fedora release - I have one system still running with it - but
once FC4 will be out, and this will happen soon in May, FC1 support by
the Fedora Legacy Project will be dropped. I don't think you want to
security update all components your own then in future.

The difference between Fedora Core 1 and Red Hat Linux 8? Well, FC1 was
the follower of RH9 and the first release after the change of Red Hat's
policy regarding the free desktop distribution. Without this change it
would have been named Red Hat Linux 10 (RH10). It comes with newer
package versions than RH9 and of course newer than RH8. For details
about FC1 please read it's release notes:

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Linux/Fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES.html

Discussion about your LSI controller:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-February/msg06193.html

It may be wise to get a supported Adaptec SCSI controller. Either a real
hardware RAID one or a normal SCSI controller and then using Linux
software RAID. Depends from the budget you have.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:33:06 up 13 days, 4:41, load average: 0.35, 0.36, 0.36