Re: Sound-Recorder problems

David Curry wrote:

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

Bob Goodwin wrote:

Audacity on this computer acts about the same as your Gnome
sound-recorder, looks like it's trying to record but nothing ...

I think Gnome sound-recorder crashing is a separate problem
here. I would like to remove it and reinstall. Can anyone
tell me which RPM it is in?

I do believe the problem is not with gnome-sound-recorder, it is with
alsa. Try to record from the command line with arecord and you get same
problem: a recorded file with no sound. If you turn your speaker volume
to max when you aplay the file you get white noise.

Your note made me aware of arecord and then I discovered aplay through using man arecord.

I also get an output file with nothing in it other than white noise. I suspect, though, that whether we use command line arecord or gnome-sound-recorder to attempt recording sound we are using the same underlying application. That is, I suspect that gnome-sound-recorder is simply a gui frontend for arecord. That may not be the case, but I suspect it.

"I suspect that gnome-sound-recorder is simply a gui frontend for arecord"

And it appears that the same is true for alsa and apparently the problem is that "arecord" does not work in FC-2.

See: http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/3-arecord_and_rtmix/quick-toot-arecord_and_rtmix-1.html

Bob Goodwin