Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> fedora bootup is not as fast it could be. this is a known issue.
> please see bootchart.sf.net for a program which was specifically
> designed to find what was taking up time during bootup. a few bugs
> were fixed due to the discussion that followed in the fedora devel
> list.
>
> developers now have been looking at bringing up the GUI login screen
> earlier in the bootup sequence to improve the *perceived* speed

Which by the way is exactly what Windows does, and its been known to cause
quite a few problems for us especially in concert with our catalyst
switches. The default setup for Windows is to bring up the login screen
before the network is ready (stupid!), since windows caches the network
credentials (if logging into a domain), users can login AND login scripts
will not process correctly (network drives won't mount, etc)..

once you tell windows to wait to display the login screen until everything
is ready, windows is pathetic.

its just another ms trick that doesn't work in the real world.

Tom