Re: Problems with rpm database

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:15:49PM -0500, Carl Reynolds wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >... apt claims you haven't updated glibc, have you? Should be
> >glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3.
> >
> >If your installed package is still the old one, yum messed up, if it's
> >the new old apt messed up.
> >
> >For good measure, I'd make sure my rpm database is in order. Try this:
> >
> >rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
> >LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 rpm --rebuilddb
> >
> >Then try again the yum/apt commands.
> >
> Hi Axel,
>
> I had already updated with up2date by the time I got your message. It is
> possible that it updated glibc. I didn't notice. However, I do have the
> 2.3.4-2fc3 version of glibc installed.
>   # rpm -q --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release} %{arch}\n' glibc
>   glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3 x86_64
>
> As you suggested, I rebuilt the rpm database:
>   # rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
>   # LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 rpm --rebuilddb
>
> Then I redid the yum and apt commands to see what would happen. The
> results are at the end of the message. You will notice that the apt-get
> upgrade works, although it does list some packages as being held back. I
> don't know if this indicates a problem or not.
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove a number of critical packages so I
> didn't continue with apt from that point.

No, this looks really bad. If you like to hunt this down further, you
could try to apt-get install the held back packages one by one (or row
by row) to see what apt-get's reaction is. If it succeeds, then
apt-get dist-upgrade has a bug. If it doesn't we'll know which package
is causing havoc on your system.

(did you apt-get update after rebuilding the rpm database?)

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net