Problems with rpm database

I just installed Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on a machine and used rpm to get atrpms-kickcstart for the x86_64 architecture.

When I run
   apt-get update
it gives me a lot of warnings like
  W:: There are multiple versions of "...."
  To disable warning set:
  RPM::Allow Duplicated-Warning "false"

I did the following command:
rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | sort | uniq -d | grep -v '^kernel'
It shows 206 duplicate modules in the rpm database.
The duplicates all have the same name and version number. That is, there are two versions of qt in the database, both with the same version, etc.

I think that the people who made the distribution I'm using left both the i386 and x86_64 versions of all these packages in the system and rpm sees both versions.

I tried
rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches packagename
for each duplicated package, but that causes a lot of problems because after about 20 packages, rpm stops working because I had removed a package it needs. And there seem to be quite a number of these.

I tried
  apt-get -f update
repeatedly and it seemed to clear up the problems until I entered
  apt-get dist-upgrade
When I tried
  apt-get -f dist-upgrade
repeatedly, it erased all the binaries in /usr/bin

I tried
   rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
   rpmdb --rebuilddb -vv
It rebuilt the database with all the duplicates.

I tried
rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches --repackage akisaurus
and it created aiksaurus-1.2.1-2.i386.rpm and aiksaurus-1.2.1-2.x86_64.rpm in /var/spool/repackage. Thinking I could remove each package one at a time and reinstall it from the repackage directory.

When I tried
   rpm -i /var/spool/repackage/aiksaurus-1.2.1-2.x86_64.rpm
It gave me a V3 DSA signature: BAD, key ID 4f2a6fd2

I'm running out of ideas to try. Would someone please tell me how to get rid of the duplicates from my rpm database?

Thanks, Carl.