Re: Fedora core 3 and apt-get

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Matthew Page wrote:

> Is there a way of taking all of the RPM's that I have and using them
> with Yum?  I've never used Yum before...

Yes it is possible. One tricky thing is yum version change between FC2
& FC3 [and associated config file path changes]

You might want to check instructions at:
http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt

And if you don't want to get yum metadata over the network - you can
create a local repository for your files [and don't have to worry
about upgrading fedora-release/yum packages first.

So - I guess the process would be:

- make sure FC2 yum is installed

- copy the RPMS to a location - and create a new repo. For eg:

mkdir /tmp/rpmfiles
cp *.rpm /tmp/rpmfiles
cd /tmp/rpmfiles
yum-arch .

- Now edit /etc/yum.cong file - and add this location to a repository
  and remove the other repositories listed there.

[local]
name=Local RPMs
baseurl=file:///tmp/rpmfiles

- Now do an upgrade

yum upgrade

You might want to postpone updating yum to a later time. i.e

yum --exclude=yum upgrade
yum update yum
<fix up /etc/yum.conf to the new version>

Satish