Re: Tripwire Questions

Mark Sargent wrote:

Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 11:30, Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

I followed a Fedora 2 book for setting up tripwire(FC3 box), and used a perl script(from the same book) that scans the twpol.txt file, removes/adds what's needed and updates the file, which saves a lot of manual stuff. Anyway, this is the command I executed,
/usr/local/bin/cleanpol.pl <twpol.txt.orig \ >twpol.txt
and, it showed 4 additions and 141 removals. I then went and opened twpol.txt with Gedit, but, it's empty. Shouldn't this file be updated with the revised rules.? Confused. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Sounds like a problem with the script.  I have always manually edited
the twpol.txt file clean it of missing files and add in things that are
not included.

I usually run a check and then use that report to walk through the
policy making the required changes. Usually takes about 3 or 4 passes
to get a clean policy setup. Which book are you using? Would be interested in such a script if one
exists.

Hi All,

am using Beginning Fedora 2 from Wrox. I'll copy the script from the box(hasn't touched the net yet) and paste it in here for you. Rather handy, when it works(which it has on another machine, some time ago). Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Hi All,

here is the script,

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

$Additions = 0;
$Removals = 0;
while ($line = <STDIN>) {
if ( $line =~ /^\s*#\s*(\/\S+)/ ) {
if ( -e $1 ) {
   $line =~ s/^\s*#//;
   $Additions++;
}
}elsif ( $line =~ /^\s*(\/\S+)/ ) {
if ( ! -e $1 ) {
  $line = "#" . $line;
  $Removals++;
}
}
}
print STDERR "Number of additions: $Additions\n";
print STDERR "Number of removals: $Removals\n";

Cheers.

Mark sargent.