Re: Follow-up - kernel.src Issue

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

I'm really not sure
why the kernel should be treated differently with regard to how
sourcecode manipulation is to be performed compared to other packages.

From my point of view only...I very seldom would even consider adapting most
applications for my specific hardware. The applications run on top of Linux quite
well. However, the kernel is quite different with respect to hardware variation.
I am trying to keep Fedora running on a dozen different machines, all with slightly
different hardware. This has, in some instances required reconfiguring (from a
simple "vi" of the .config to a full "make menuconfig") to get the right combination
of stuff for one system or another. This is precisely what the kernel-sourcecode made
very easy. Install the "sourcecode", run "make config", "make", "make install" etc. and
done. I do remain unconvinced that using the "src" provides for this "common case",
as opposed to true kernel development, in quite as convenient form and without
requiring a significant amount more harddrive space on some of the limited
systems involved.

BUT...I admit that I haven't attempted it yet. This is because it requires a
significant amount of learning on my part. I've not convinced myself that I
know enough yet to quickly do the thing without an extensive downtime on
the systems. So I am reading all these messages, and the FAQs referenced,
and still running FC2 on the applicable systems while I decide on the next step.