Re: Follow-up - kernel.src Issue

David Cary Hart wrote:
To avoid confusion:

YES. I am FULLY aware that Fedora no longer provides kernel-source.rpm.
That is NOT what I am looking for.

This question now pertains to kernel-2.6.11-1.1170_FC4.src.rpm. Note, I
am referring to kernel-2.6.11-1.1170_FC4.SRC.rpm. I had originally
posted regarding kernel-2.6.11-1.1166_FC4.src.rpm.

Up to now, we have been able to create kernel-source.rpm from src.rpm.
That is - seemingly - NO LONGER POSSIBLE. %buildsrc and the routines it
referred to in the 2.6.10 series are no longer included in the spec
file.

If Fedora now intends to resume distributing kernel-source then this is
a non-issue. However, that has not been the case with the two 2.6.11
rawhide releases.

Correct me if I am wrong but this new format allows for creating a
custom FC kernel only by text editing the config files which (IMO) is a
VERY bad idea. Without "make config" it is possible to select
conflicting options or to omit dependent options.

Can I get an "official" comment - please?

Not an "official" comment, but the method described at:
http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/steps.html
uses "make menuconfig" (or your favourite GUI version) and does not require the creation of a kernel-source package, nor hand-editing of the config files. This does appear to be the "official" way of building kernels, and results in an RPM too, which is good, isn't it?

Paul.