Re: Fedora Security Process Model Question

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:49:20PM -0500, Chris Strzelczyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a BSD user who inherited a couple Fedora web servers machines.  I
> have a couple of questions on
> how to best get security updates in the quickest possible manner.  I
> have been through the FAQ however, it
> doesn't answer my questions and I would like to get some real world
> answers from sys admins.  I also want to
> decide if to keep Fedora on these machines or migrate to BSD.
>
> 1. What is the best/quickest way to get security updates for Fedora
> Linux?  Although Redhat mentions to get errata
> thourgh redhat.com I see nothing for Fedora on the redhat support page.
>  Is yum or up2date the only way to go?

Yum is an excellent tool for each machine. You mention having several
machines. If they are full installations, you may find it minimizes
bandwidth consumption to start a local repository and point yum to
that. http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html

> 2. Once Fedora goes to a new revision level (i.e. from core 3 to core
> 4) when do the experts recommend we update Fedora
> core 3?   I believe updates stop a few months after the new revision is
> release.  Does this include security updates?

I believe it is several months after the next version is out. So FC(N)
is obsoleted several months after FC(N+1) is out. I had FC(1-3) all
running here for a while. Other than the obvious minor differences
between them, it was not a problem.

> 3.  When upgrading a Core version up a level how painless/painful is
> it?  FreeBSD makes upgrading through ports a walk in the
> park I would just like to know what the real world thinks.

It varies. If you use yum, it can be a major PITA. If you use Anaconda
(the CD installation/upgrade program), it usually goes quite
smoothly. A local NFS server is probably the fastest way to install or
upgrade.