Re: fc3 - raid 1 setup problems

> > in Druid:
> > >new>hdb1 only>software RAID>fill to 102mb>primary partition checked
> > >new>hdb2 only>software RAID>fill to 114369
> > new>hdb3 only>swap>fill to 512
> > new>hdc1 only>software RAID>fill to 102mb>primary partition checked
> > new>hdc2 only>software RAID>fill to 114369
> > new>hdc3 only>swap>fill to 512
> >
> > >RAID>create device md(0) mountpoint = /boot >hdb1,hdc1 checked
> > >RAID>create device md(1) mountpoint = / > hdb2, hdc2 checked
>
> That looks proper.
>
> > that's bout it...chose next and we on the way...starts installing and
> > whammo...no disk space grrrrrrrrrrr ...system will reboot...just hit ok
>
> I don't think that is a RAID related problem.
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#IntelD845
>
> I would try to process installation with "linux ide=nodma" booting. Or
> see the other hints regarding the different hardward.

ok I did "linux ide=nodma" ....it looks like that was the problem!

but now that opens up another can of worms. so now, yes, I am sure that
the problem was/is in the hardware and not w/my raid configuration.
during this install(which is still going on) this system has lost at
least 90% of it's speed! Considering that w/out dma, everything has to
come and go thru the processor really dragging the system down...then
also the type of operation we are asking the system to do; write to 2
hard drives instead of 1, puts more stress on the processor. It just
doesn't seem to be the route to go.

I am going to let it finish installing....2 1/2 more hrs...let it boot
up and I am really considering swapping the motherboard out w/a spare
slot A I have here and try installing normally.

At least we did narrow down the problem thx to Alexander's suggestion

john rose