Re: Problems with rpm database

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 02:51:35PM -0500, Carl Reynolds wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >Try
> >
> >apt-get check
> >
> >first to see, whether apt detects something irregular in the rpm
> >database. Then try
> >
> >apt-get upgrade
> >
> >(no dist). Any packages "held back" are candidated to have caused the
> >panic to apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >
> I'm sorry to keep you waiting for the results of this. I know you have
> all been anxiously waiting to find out how this turned out. :-)
>
> Before I saw your message, I had started yum with the following command
>    yum update
> on Tuesday about 11:00 am and it just finished the update about two
> hours ago. I work on a dial-up line and the update took two days.
>
> Anyway, after running yum update (which completed successfully) I ran
>    apt-get check
> and it completed normally
>    Reading Package Lists... Done
>    Building Dependency Tree... Done
>
> However when I ran
>    apt-get --simulate upgrade
> it gave me a very long list of packages held back (attached to the end
> of this message)
>
> Since the yum update completed successfully does that mean my rpm
> database should be OK?

It depends, apt claims you haven't updated glibc, have you? Should be
glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3.

If your installed package is still the old one, yum messed up, if it's
the new old apt messed up.

For good measure, I'd make sure my rpm database is in order. Try this:

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 rpm --rebuilddb

Then try again the yum/apt commands.

--