Re: FC3 max memory

Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
> [root@blah root]# uname -a
> Linux blah 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:58:29 EST 2005 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Hardware is Tyan 2885 mobo, two opteron 244 procs in it. Right now the
> system has 4GB of memory installed:
>
> [root@hofmann license]# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      3607440 kB
>
> The mobo takes up to 16GB of memory. But when I add more memory, 4 more
> 1GB dimms, 8GB total, same exact type of memory that is already in the
> system (DDR ECC Reg PC2700), the kernel panics and doesn't boot. The error
> is:
>
> <0> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task
>
> It dies just before the audit init takes place, so the kernel hardly boots
> at all, if even.
>
> Any idea what the maximum memory is for FC3 with the kernel I have? I
> tried looking for a bigmem kernel but isn't large memory support built in?
> I'm pretty sure support is for much more memory than 4GB. Do I have to
> recompile a special kernel though?
>
> Does anyone have more than 4GB of memory in a FC3 system and NOT have
> kernel panics? What is your kernel?

AFAIK the x86-64 limit at the moment is 1 TB = 1024 GB. And that should
be there for all kernels.

Something is very wrong there. And I suspect hardware. What does
memtest86 say? Can you try a bootable CD? Can you just try the new
memory?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Please do not put sandwiches in the disk drive.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |