Re: FC3 max memory

Tony Dietrich wrote:
On Wednesday 02 Mar 2005 21:44, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

[root@blah root]# uname -a
Linux blah 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:58:29 EST 2005 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hardware is Tyan 2885 mobo, two opteron 244 procs in it. Right now the
system has 4GB of memory installed:

[root@hofmann license]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3607440 kB

The mobo takes up to 16GB of memory. But when I add more memory, 4 more
1GB dimms, 8GB total, same exact type of memory that is already in the
system (DDR ECC Reg PC2700), the kernel panics and doesn't boot. The error
is:

<0> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task

It dies just before the audit init takes place, so the kernel hardly boots
at all, if even.

Any idea what the maximum memory is for FC3 with the kernel I have? I
tried looking for a bigmem kernel but isn't large memory support built in?
I'm pretty sure support is for much more memory than 4GB. Do I have to
recompile a special kernel though?

If you look at the "/boot/config-`uname -r`" file, you can see which memory model you have. The default one for FC3 on an i686 is 4GB:

# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_HIGHPTE=y
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y
# CONFIG_EFI is not set
CONFIG_REGPARM=y

That's found somewhere around line 126 in the config file.

Isn't there a bigmem kernel somewhere? Or was that RH9 that had that?

RH7.x-9 had it, as well as RHEL (the "EL" kernels are set SMP, 64GB). If you want a bigmem kernel, you'll have to build it yourself.

There are very few desktops out there with >4GB.  Servers, yes, but not
desktops and "out of the box" FC3 is really aimed at desktops.  As far
as "does it work?", I have built FC3 kernels for 8GB mobos
("CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y") and they work.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -