Re: VNC server on Fedora 3 causing Windows client CPU overload

Nicholas Keown wrote:
Hi. This looks like a familiar problem without much of a solution. I am trying to manage my Linux box using VNC from my windows notebook, but it maxs' out the CPU causing overheating and BLINK! - it's turns itself off!

I don't have a solution for you but you need some better cooling my friend.

I'm running a 3.2GHz Intel chip pre-Prescott (the hottest one you can get at that clock speed), and I had to add fans, and buy a new side to my case to get it to play nicely. (mind you it's running multiple high RPM hard drives in RAID as well so can be forgiven a little for getting warm in the box).

Running a full DVD render of a home DV movie maxes out the CPU for a good 11 hours or so, but it never even gets to the motherboard monitor beeping stage.

If yours is heating to the point of shutting the box down, it is either built very poorly, or you have some other serious thermal issues in that chassis.

It is not a good thing. I'd get that sorted even before you try to fix VNC.

Regards,
Ed.