Re: List Rules

Good afternoon!

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 19:01 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> [...]
I'm truly sorry you decided my reply was drivel and not worth
consideration, my friend. You might have learned something.
> > Have a great day!
> Um, sure.
Well, did you? Or did you go back and re-read what the original post
actually said.....rather than making it up all by your lonesome self?
> This type of hair-splitting, barracks-lawyering claptrap is exactly what I
> am talking about.  People like this are the ones who will take "the rules"
> and decide that it is their job to publicly gripe if your signature doesn't
> have a space after the hyphens, or your .sig is too long, too short,
> politically correct, or whatever.  Screw that.
No hair splitting here, old friend. Read my post again. I seek to
broaden the "hairs" that you are narrowing. You are narrowing the
meanings of accepted words and meanings. Why?

Frankly, I don't care how you present yourself to the public. Make your
signature without a space after the hyphens, if you think you must. Make
your .sig too long, too short, politically correct, or whatever. Wear a
tattoo, a mohawk. Screw this, that or anything within reach. But Mr.
Cameron, don't you think you would be less confusing to the rest of us
if you could spare a few seconds to sit down and try to understand (and
that means reading prior postings and looking up what words mean, Mr.
Cameron) what is being offered LONG BEFORE spinning horror stories of
punishments and telling us what the words "really" mean (or imply, or
seem to mean).

> How about this - if you don't like someone's post, delete it.

You, me and everybody else are a part of a community. We all have a
stake in how we conduct ourselves. And we use words to communicate. I
don't enjoy anybody dictating to me what words in common usage "really"
mean (Nice try, though :)). Especially, when the offered definitions are
demonstrably too narrow. I will not just delete you and hope you don't
exist any more. You do. So does your ignorance. So does your
arrogance...

You might want to be brought up to speed not only on current practices
in societies and communities, but also in current word usage. Here's a
tip: buy a dictionary, join the community. And stop spinning scary
stories about punishments and authorities who use them. They don't
exist. Relax, calm down, and then you can contribute something
worthwhile. (Breathe! Breathe!)

>   Or maybe
> refer them (preferably privately) to ESR's "How To Ask Questions The Smart
> Way."  It isn't your (or my) place to tell anyone how they should live their
> life, whether it is wearing some color after a certain date or using HTML or
> top posting or [fill in your favorite stupid peeve that some nimrod is bound
> to gripe about].

Well okay, if your HTML sent me a nasty, yeah that is your place. No,
that is your problem, because you made it mine. And, my friend, it would
be my place to ensure that you helped me clean up your mess. And wear
whatever colour pleases you (although I don't see how this is relevant
to the original post...oh, you still haven't read the original post,
have you?). I guess that my favorite stupid peeve is that you are
reacting to what you think words mean and are content to stay
self-righteous in spite of your ignorance.

> If the owner of this list (that would be Red Hat) wants to impose rules,
> then so be it.  It's their bandwidth, their servers, their product.  But if
> someone who has no more or less standing (we're all volunteers here except
> Warren Togami and Colin Charles) than me tries to tell me what "the rules"
> are, I'm going to tell them to go pound sand

Owners, so far, haven't entered the list with rules, punishments or
authorities. Oooh, Mister Cameron, where are they? It is just you and
the rest of us, with you telling us what words "really" mean.
Pretentious creature!

If someone who has no more or less standing (we're all volunteers here
except Warren Togami and Colin Charles) than me tries to tell me what
our words mean, I'm going to tell them to go pound sand.

And I have found the sand! Mr. Cameron, box your ears, and know that you
have found the sand.

Good day, Mr. Cameron.